Natural cures for yeast infection are the substances found naturally in the environment which are used to treat yeast infections. They mainly include plant and animal products. These natural cures have certain anti fungal properties and hence are able to eliminate the yeast. More and more people nowadays are turning to natural cures for yeast infection for a solution as a result of the expenses and side effects associated with commercial medications.
The 6 best natural cures for yeast infection include:
ii. Tea tree oil.
vi. Boric acid.
How To Use These Yeast Infection Natural Cures
Yoghurt is a natural cure for yeast infection made through fermentation of milk. Yoghurt contains bacteria known as Lactobacillus acidophilus which control the population of yeast hence preventing a yeast infection.
How to use yoghurt
i. Dip a tampon in a bowl containing unsweetened or sugar-free yoghurt. Afterwards, insert the tampon into the vagina and leave it intact for some hours. Repeat this process daily until the infection is completely gone.
ii. Alternatively, you can douche the vaginal area using a mixture of water and unsweetened yoghurt. This should be done at least once daily.
iii. It is also recommended that you eat unsweetened yoghurt frequently.
2. Tea tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a pale yellow liquid obtained from the leaves of a certain tea tree, known specifically as Melaleuca alternifolia. Tea tree oil is renowned for its antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal as well as antiviral action when applied superficially (on the surface).
Important notes about tea tree oil
- Tea tree oil is toxic and should never be taken internally, along with foods or drinks.
- Tea tree oil is a potent chemical and should always be used sparingly, in diluted form, or else it can cause inflammation.
- Tea tree oil has an adverse reaction in some women, therefore one should consult a doctor immediately serious side effects appear.
How to use tea tree oil
i. Dilute some tea tree oil using olive oil or sweet almond oil and then pour a few drops of the mixture on a tampon. Insert the tampon daily into the vagina for a couple of hours until the symptoms disappear completely.
ii. Suppositories containing tea tree oil are also available and can be used as an alternative.
Garlic is a bitter onion-like plant that naturally repels yeast.
How to use garlic
i. For a skin infection, crush the garlic into a paste and rub onto the affected area.
ii. For a vaginal infection, wrap a fresh clove of garlic using cheesecloth and tie it using a clean string e.g. an unwaxed dental floss. Use the string to insert the cheesecloth into the vaginal area and leave it intact for several hours a day. Repeat this process daily until the infection is cured.
iii. Alternatively, you can mix a fresh clove of garlic along with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in two cups of water and use the solution obtained for douching.
Vinegar works by restoring the vaginal environment to its normal acidic pH and therefore inhibiting the growth of yeast. Apple cider vinegar is thought to be the most effective type to use to get rid of yeast.
How to use vinegar
i. Pour warm water into a bath tub until it is half full. Add ½ cup of salt as well as ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and stir. Soak yourself in the bath tub for about 30 minutes. Dry the vaginal area thoroughly afterwards. This should be done once daily until symptoms abate.
ii. You can also douche the vaginal region using a solution prepared by mixing one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and one clove of garlic in two cups of water.
Honey is another natural substance which is known to counteract growth of yeast. However, it is largely unpopular because it is sticky and uncomfortable.
How to use honey
Apply liberal amounts of honey in the vaginal region and leave it there for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, thoroughly wash the vaginal area with water and dry. Do this twice daily until the symptoms end.
6. Boric acid
Boric acid is a chemical which occurs naturally in mineral form but can also be manufactured. It is packaged in form of capsules which are inserted into the vaginal area.
Notes about boric acid
- Boric acid is toxic and should never be ingested orally or placed on open cuts and wounds.
- Boric acid may cause a slight burning effect, but this should not be a cause of alarm, as it will eventually bring about relief.
How to use boric acid
Insert one or two capsules of boric acid into the vagina and leave it there for several hours. Do this daily until the infection is cured.
Important notes about natural cures for yeast infection
- The natural cures for yeast infections should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. Other diseases like Trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis have similar symptoms to those of yeast infection and hence you may misdiagnose yourself.
- The natural cures should be done for at least two days after the symptoms end to prevent chances of a recurring infection.
- The natural cures for yeast infection should be used following the appropriate guidelines.