A yeast infection is an irritating fungal disease that affects men, women and children. It is caused by the overgrowth of a micro organism known as Candida albicans on any warm, moist surface of the body. Fortunately, yeast infections are treatable and can be eliminated with relative ease. The various methods of how to get rid of yeast infections can be categorized into 3 groups:
Natural Treatment/Home remedies For Getting Rid Of YIs
Home remedies are an effective way to get rid of yeast infections without the need to purchase medication which might be inaccessible or expensive. This encompasses the use of natural substances which posses anti fungal properties. Some of the home remedies include:
i. Take a tampon and dip it in unsweetened yoghurt. Insert the tampon in the vagina and leave it there for a few hours. Repeat this twice a day until the symptoms disappear.
ii. Eat plenty of unsweetened yoghurt.
iii. Put a few drops of tea tree oil, diluted with olive oil or sweet almond oil, on a tampon and insert it in the vagina for about an hour. Repeat this process twice a day until the symptoms abate.
iv. In case of a skin yeast infection, crush some garlic into paste and rub onto the affected area. If it is a vaginal infection, wrap 1 clove of garlic in some cheesecloth and tie it with unwaxed dental floss and then insert it into the vagina for several hours a day. Use the dental floss to pull out the garlic. Continue this process until the symptoms end.
v. Fill a bath tub with enough water to soak the vaginal area completely. Then, add ½ cup of salt as well as ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and stir. Dip yourself in the water for 20- 30 minutes. Afterwards, dry the vaginal area thoroughly using an absorbent material.
vi. Apply liberal amounts of honey into the vaginal area and leave it there for about 20 minutes daily. Repeat this twice a day until the symptoms end.
vii. Eat foods rich in Vitamin C and have plenty of sleep to boost the body’s immune system.
viii. Douche your vaginal area using one of the following solutions:
• Unsweetened yoghurt
• 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 clove of garlic mixed in two cups of water
Advantages of Home remedies
- They are relatively inexpensive as compared to prescription or over the counter medication
- They are usually safe and pose no side effects when used appropriately
- They can be used by pregnant women, diabetics or people on other medication who cannot take yeast infection medication as it may adversely affect them. Just like home remedies, herbal remedies for yeast infection are also friendly to pregnant women.
Disadvantages of Home remedies
- If not used appropriately, some home remedies like yoghurt or tea tree oil can have injurious effects or make an infection worse
- Some of the remedies merely relieve the symptoms but do not treat the yeast infection and hence the infection keeps recurring
Prescription Medication For Getting Rid Of YIs
When the symptoms of yeast appear, you can go to a doctor who will then take samples and then determine whether you are actually suffering from yeast infections. He/ She may then write a prescription for a medication which when taken will cure the yeast infection.
Common prescription drugs include Diflucan, which is an oral pill taken only once to cure the yeast infection. Another oral medication is Nizoral which can be taken for seven or fourteen days, depending on the dosage.
Advantages of prescription medication
- Proper tests are conducted before the diagnosis is given, hence one is treated for the disease they are suffering from, unlike in over the counter yeast infection medication where most women wrongly diagnose themselves thinking that they are suffering from yeast infections
- Prescription medications are usually very effective and they eliminate the virus in a short time
Disadvantages of Prescription medication
- They are usually very expensive.
- Some of them have nasty side effects like dizziness and weakness.
- The antibiotics contained in these drugs may end up killing both the yeast as well as the essential bacteria and hence increasing the chances of recurring infections.
- They cannot be used by pregnant women, diabetics and people using other medication as it may adversely affect them.
Over The Counter Yeast Infection Treatments
After the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) of USA approved the sale of yeast infection treatments over the counter, many yeast infection treatments have become accessible in most pharmacies.
Most of these treatments are either vaginal creams or suppositories. Some common brands include:
• Terazole etc.
Advantages of over the counter Yeast infection Treatment
- They are quite effective and relatively inexpensive.
- They have fewer side effects as compared to prescription drugs.
Disadvantages of over the counter yeast infection treatment
- Most are misused by women who wrongly suspect that they have yeast infections.
- Some are quite inconvenient. For example vaginal creams can leak out and they interfere with the latex found in condoms and diaphragms.
- Some treatments have undesirable side effects.
Evidently, there are various methods which show how to get rid of yeast infections. It is up to you to weigh each of them, according to its merits and demerits, and decide what is best for you. In case of doubt, you can seek the advice of a physician.
Do you want to permanently get rid of your yeast infection? If you answered "YES", then I suggest you use the step-by-step system recommended in the Yeast Infection No More Guide. The Yeast Infection No More Guide is a great and effective manual with a natural plan that will completely treat any case of yeast infection and stop it from returning!
Click here ==> Yeast Infection No More Review, to read more about this guide.